What is Compost?
It is organic matter which can vary in nature depending on the ingredients used in the starting mixture. In this material certain organisms grow and release metabolic heat and metabolic products.
Generally the most well known reasons for making compost are:
- To add organic matter to the soil
- To increase soil fertility
- To add structure to the soil
However, there are several other extremely valuable reasons:
- To repopulate the soil with micro-organisms
- To add foods to feed the existing soil biota
- To increase plant immunity to a host of diseases – if the compost is made properly